Friday, January 24, 2014

Day ??

So I lost track of days, in much the same way I lost track of the detox.  But it's been a week since my last post, so where am I?

After some soul searching (not deep soul searching, mind you, but just deep enough to think about my eating habits), I came up with the lazy man's detox, which is not a detox at all!

I am pretty in tune with how my body feels.  When I eat well, I generally feel pretty good.  When I eat junk, I don't feel that great.

My journey with food is not something new.  It started years ago, probably when I first moved to Austin, which was 19 years ago!

One of the first experiments was trying to eat vegetarian.  It only lasted a couple of weeks.  I found myself really tired and lethargic.  Of course, I probably wasn't balancing things out the right way, but nonetheless it didn't stick.

Next, there were years where I didn't eat red meat.  I had discovered that eating it gave me terrible stomach pains, so I just gave it up.  I do eat some red meat now, definitely small portions.  With small amounts, balanced with other foods, my body handles it fine.

When I was pregnant with my oldest (who is 13 now), I gave up sodas.  Never really went back to them.  I will have a small glass every now and again, but it really throws my blood sugar off and I feel jittery.

About 5 years ago, we started green smoothies for breakfast.  I really miss this ritual when we don't get to have one!

It was around that time that we also stopped drinking cow milk.  Rice milk, soy milk and almond milk are all staples at my house.  We do eat cheese and yogurt (and ice cream!), but they don't seem to have the same bloating,etc effects that milk did.   Well, ice cream does, but in small doses it seems to be not too bad.  We are talking ice cream after all!

At various times over the past 5 years, I have also tried gluten free.  I would say we are about 75% gluten free.  Some days more so than others.

But most important to any of the diet changes that we have done, is that we have added good things.  The added things crowd out the things we are trying to control.

Drink lots and lots of water.
More fresh fruits and vegetables.
Different homemade grains.  Waffles, bread, snacks, all gluten free and low sugar.
More home cooking in general.

But we aren't strict about the eating.  Which actually seems to work for us.  Nothing to rebel against when there aren't rules.

We like feeling good, which translates to us wanting to eat well.

So no more detox.  I'll save that for when my diet gets really out of sorts.  Which hopefully means that I won't need a detox!

No comments:

Post a Comment