Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Day 10

Another day in the life of detox.  Though more and more it doesn't actually feel like anything.  Just feels like personalized eating choices, which is what we all need to be doing for ourselves anyway.

Lets look at what a lot of folks are eating day in and day out.  I think you will agree that the acronym SAD is appropriate for the standard American diet.

So ask yourself the following.
How many times did I eat this food today?  last week?  last month?
   Pizza?
   Hamburger and fries?
   Hot dogs?
   Pasta?
   Sub sandwich?
   Pancakes/waffles?
   Dessert?
   Soda?

Stop there.  There are many other options we could talk about, but lets just talk about these as a starting point.  Not all of these are bad in themselves, but then we have to talk about ingredients.

Did you make any of these foods yourself?  Did you find healthy recipes with whole foods?  Did you try to avoid sugar and processed ingredients?  It can be done, but it takes effort!

If you didn't make them yourself, did you read the labeling?  Do you really know what you put into your body?  When I am buying food, I try to keep it to mostly whole foods.  And the products that are packaged, I always read the ingredients.  If I can't pronounce the ingredient list, then I don't want to put it in my body.

No, I am not perfect at the eating game.  I love donuts and chips and ice cream.  But to be honest, when I make the effort to eat healthy, I don't miss them.  Not that I would go and hang out at the Krispy Kreme all day and just drink water.  But I don't feel the urge to go there in the first place.

So I think I am making progress!

As for what I ate today.
Breakfast was a green smoothie.
Lunch was some leftover chicken breast, quinoa with spinach, an apple.
Dinner was vegan lentil shepherd's pie.  It was really good.  I was kind of in a rush and had to grab something from the store formerly known as Sun Harvest.  The vegan bakery here in town made it.  I need to find me a recipe to recreate at home.

Snacking was a cereal I found called Qi'a.  Which was chia seeds and quinoa and some dried fruit.  Suprisingly yum.  Really.  And satisfying.  Chia seeds are fairly popular nowadays for being high in omega-3's.  so as long as I don't start sprouting greet shoots out my head, I give it a thumbs up!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment